Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for Me?
Weight loss surgery is performed to control weight . There are two basic ways that weight loss surgery works to help patients lose weight and improve both physical and lifestyle conditions.
1. Restrictive procedure - changes in the configuration of the stomach
A restrictive procedure limits the amount of food you eat to feel full, therefore, you should feel satisfied on smaller amounts of food and feel full for a longer period of time. You will eat less and lose weight (Gastric Band and Sleeve)
2. Malabsorptive procedure – technique of modifying the intestinal tract
These procedures modify the body’s ability to absorb calories and nutrients from food. Fewer calories are absorbed, therefore you will lose weight (Gastric Bypass).
Are you eligible for Weight Loss Surgery?
In order to be eligible you must :
- Be over the age of 18
- Demonstrate that all appropriate and available non-surgical measures have been adequately tried but have failed to maintain weight loss
- Have a genuine desire to overcome your obesity problems and demonstrate full commitment to finally getting your weight under control
- Fully understand both the benefits and the risks of weight loss surgery
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 to 39 with other obesity related health problems
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or above
- We also consider BMI’s of 30 – 35 on an individual basis and therefore a consultation will determine suitability