Search For A Specialist
Mr Madhavan C Papanna is a Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon at Doncaster, South Yorkshire.
Mr Papanna specialises in sports injuries with an expertise in arthroscopic (keyhole) shoulder and elbow surgery; shoulder and elbow joint replacement surgery; shoulder guided injections.
Mr Papanna’s clinical interests include:
• Arthroscopy of the shoulder.
• Arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression
• Acromio-Clavicular Joint Excision.
• Acromio-Clavicular Joint Stabilisation.
• Rotator Cuff Repair.
• Bankart Stabilisation / Arthroscopic capsulo-labral reconstruction.
• Latarjet Stabilsiation / Coracoid transfer stabilisation.
• Pec Major / Pectoralis Major Repair.
• Distal biceps repair
• Long head of Biceps Tenodesis
• Capsular release and manipulation under anaesthetic.
• Superior Labrum Anterior Posterior (SLAP) repair.
• Primary Shoulder Replacement.
• Revision shoulder replacement
• Complex primary and Revision shoulder surgery
• Steroid (Cortisone) injections.
• Sternoclavicular Joint Surgery
• Shoulder & Clavicle fracture
• Tennis elbow release
• Golfers Elbow release
• Nerve decompressions
• Radial head replacements
• Elbow instability surgery
• Primary Total Elbow Replacement
• Elbow arthroscopy
• Complex Elbow fracture fixation surgery
• Wrist fracture; carpal tunnel syndrome; trigger finger; ganglion
MBBS, Diploma in Orthopaedics, SICOT Fellow(Ortho),MRCS Ed, FRCS Ed (Tr & Orth)
Mr Papanna undertook his General Surgical training from Manchester and Higher Surgical Training in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery from Sheffield Rotation. Following this, he was appointed to the internationally acclaimed Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship Programme at the Derby Shoulder and Elbow Unit. During his fellowship he gained wealth of experience in shoulder and elbow surgery and dealing with a high volume of complex cases.
On completion of his fellowship programme he travelled to shoulder and elbow centres of excellence in France as a visiting surgeon and gained insight and experience into state of the art surgical techniques from world renowned surgeons.
Mr Papanna aims to provide his patients with a first class outcome through a caring and personally tailored service, delivered in a timely fashion, using proven techniques and prosthesis.
He has several peer-reviewed publications in high impact scientific orthopaedics and trauma journals. He has presented his research work in numerous international and national meetings such as Congress of the European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and the Elbow, European federation of national association of orthopaedics and traumatology and the British shoulder and elbow society. He has also been invited to speak at various orthopaedic forums on bone substitutes (BMP'S) used in orthopaedic and trauma surgery.
He continues to be actively involved in research and in the department currently, he is leading a Randomised control trail on use of in-space balloons to treat irreparable rotator cuff tears. Further, he is a scientific peer reviewer for various Orthopaedic and trauma journals including British Shoulder and Elbow Journal.
Mr Papanna is an honorary senior clinical lecturer at University of Sheffield .He trains future orthopaedic surgeons, junior doctors and medical students at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals. In addition, he is the lead for the advance clinical practitioners in the orthopaedic department.
He is a faculty member on the Chesterfield, Sheffield and Derby FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedic) clinical course. Further, he is also an examiner for the medical students.
British Shoulder and Elbow Society
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
British Medical Association
Medical Defence Union
Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust